Sarah MacLean is one of those authors I like because she uses puns in her titles like a pro. There’s really nothing like a good book with a funny side which makes it altogether more interesting to read.
MacLean has several book series I read, followed and finished. The latest series is called Bareknuckle Bastards. I already devoured book one titled “Wicked and the Wallflower“. I liked the premise of three illegitimate sons and one true heiress, all fighting for what they desire. I’m already looking forward to book two.
Other notable series are:
- Love by Numbers-This series hooked me right from the start. I do have a weakness to love stories which include a list, numbers and references to Shakespeare. My fave was Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing A Lord. I have a thing for the bookish sexy guy.
- The Rules of Scoundrels-This series centered on a gaming hell called Fallen Angel. You should read Love by Numbers first before embarking on this series. My fave was A Rogue by Any Other Name (it’s a no-brainer).
- Scandal & Scoundrel-I began this series because book one was titled “The Rogue Not Taken”. Once again, rogue and poetry. Best mix. I also read book two and I’m looking forward to book three.
Although MacLean hasn’t written a lot of books, she still stole my heart with her vibrant characters and interesting plot twists.
Until next time!
Admittedly, Lisa Kleypas is one of my new fave authors. My current top fave is Julia Quinn and Ms. Kleypas would be third on the list. Second place goes to Ms. Michaels, fourth place would be Ms. Hoyt and fifth place goes to Ms. Banks.
I have read a lot of Kleypas novels and novellas. Much like the other authors I favor, her book series are a must-read.
The Wallflowers-There are six books in this series and I have read four of them. I haven’t gotten to reading the Book 0.5 titled Again the Magic but have jumped right into Books 1 to 4. I really liked how Kleypas made each wallflower endearing and sweet in unique ways.
The Hathaways-This series involved five siblings who had to suffer a tragedy in their loving family. Each sibling is given a story that allows them to shine through as strong and wonderful human beings. I especially liked Seduce Me at Sunrise because the heroine here is so fragile yet so resilient.
The Ravenels-This series is one I am most looking forward to. I liked the mystery surrounding the Ravenel family and how they struggle to find their place in society. The emotional turmoil and profound romance in their stories keep me begging for more. Hello, Stranger will soon be a stranger no longer.
The Stokehursts-This has only two books and I have read only the first book which was Midnight Angel. It was alright. I’m curious to know how the second book will go but I’m not that hopeful as to whether I’ll like it or not. The reviews on this series were not kind.
Ms. Kleypas has other book series which I have yet to sample but for now, I am content with what I have read of her works, so far.
Until my next post!
I’m not much for contemporary romance because the setting is almost as unrealistic as they come (for me, that is). However, Maya Banks captured my attention with her book series called Breathless Trilogy. Thus, I’m hooked on Banks and could not wait to read her other novels.
Here are my current top picks:
- Breathless Trilogy – Among the three books in this series, I loved the story between Jace and Bethany. I think how Banks made an awkward scenario became acceptable was quite brilliant. There were also a lot of surprise scenes in Rush (book 1) that totally caught me off guard.
- Colters’ Legacy– Another eye-opener for me was the menage stories in this series. I actually liked how each love story unfolded. There was drama, intrigue and high passion that can only be generated from having not one or two men in your life but three. My fave is still the first book in this series.
- Montgomerys & Armstrongs – Finally, historical romances from Banks. I read the first two books in this series and the third one will be out in December 2018. I liked the complex relationships built within the clans. I liked the first book the most because the heroine was deaf. It was quite interesting.
- McCabe Trilogy – Another series on historical romance which I finished in less than three days. Each story intertwines with the others and also intertwined with my heart. I think I should give online dating another chance and start looking up Scottish lairds.
- KGI Series– This series is based on a private company that specializes on rescue missions and the like. I only read one book in this series but I know that I will continue to read more. Action and romance is definitely a good combination.
Banks has definitely more to offer but for now, I think I’m still not yet over my historical romance phase. For sure, I’ll write more about contemporary romances and will have Banks on my top authors’ list.